Legend Mining Ltd (ASX:LEG) has received positive phase-1 metallurgical test-work results on samples from diamond drill hole RKD034 at Mawson prospect within the Rockford Project, demonstrating recovery of up to 98% copper and 97% nickel.
Strategic Metallurgy Pty Ltd was engaged to conduct preliminary flotation test-work to assess the ability to produce saleable nickel and copper concentrates from Mawson massive sulphide.
Test-work utilised depression of iron sulphides to selectively float separate copper and nickel concentrates and the flotation regime utilised common flotation reagents, similar to that used at IGO Ltd’s (ASX:IGO) nearby Nova Nickel Mine.
“Premium concentrates can be produced”
Managing director Mark Wilson said: “The results of this first met test-work have demonstrated that premium nickel and copper concentrates can be produced by conventional means from Mawson samples.
“This successful outcome has significantly advanced and de-risked our project.”
Shares have been as much as 9 per cent higher in early trade to 13 cents.
Notable highlights from the test-work include confirming that Mawson massive sulphide responds well to conventional flotation:
- Rougher recovery up to 98% for copper and 97% for nickel was achieved;
- Selective flotation demonstrated the ability to produce separate saleable copper and nickel concentrates – copper concentrate 31.8%, nickel concentrate 13.1%;
- Nickel concentrate highly desirable to market due to high Fe:MgO ratio (>300) with no other deleterious elements noted; and
- Optimisation expected to yield further improvement on current results.
- Finalisation of diamond and reverse circulation (RC) drill hole design for 2021 field season at Mawson;
- Field logistics underway for the commencement of field season at Mawson; and
- Integration of DD, RC, aircore geochemical and geophysical datasets to evolve 3D emplacement model of Mawson, with new constrained gravity and magnetic inversions underway.