Legend Mining Limited (ASX:LEG) has kicked off a 3,000-metre reverse circulation (RC) drilling program targeting nickel-copper sulphides at the Mawson prospect within its Rockford Project on WA's Fraser Range.
The company has also received further significant aircore assay results that add definition to the large nickel-copper geochemical footprint to the east and northeast of the Mawson massive sulphide discovery.
The RC program has an initial west to east traverse and will test three targets - the upper nickel-copper sulphide zone between diamond holes RKDD007 and RKDD015, the main gravity high and the eastern aircore nickel-copper geochemical anomaly.
Legend managing director Mark Wilson said: “This RC program is an important step in the development of the Mawson story.
“RC drilling is cheaper and quicker than diamond, yet still provides a platform for downhole EM and allows for diamond tails to chase deeper targets that are identified.
“It is important to note that it will give us new information on the known sulphide mineralisation, the eastern geochemical footprint and the gravity features.
“Future RC/diamond drill programs will be designed using this information and other datasets.”
The program is expected to take 4-6 weeks to complete.
Aircore assay results
Recent aircore assay results have added definition to the geochemical footprint at Mawson massive sulphide discovery.
Wilson said: “The new aircore assays show a developing eastern geochemical footprint.
“There is now a cluster of holes around holes 823 and 825 with assay results equal to or better than the best ones in the western footprint.
“These assays have upgraded the prospectivity of the Mawson eastern footprint.”
Aircore results include:
- 25 metres at 0.35% nickel, 0.17% copper, 0.04% cobalt from 64 metres to end of hole; and
- 15 metres at 0.29% nickel, 0.12% copper, 0.02% cobalt from 60 metres to end of hole.
These results and previously released aircore results continue to define the large NE-SW trending geochemical anomaly east of the main Mawson sulphide mineralisation.
RC drill testing of this geochemical anomaly will be undertaken during the current program.
Anomalous nickel-copper aircore results and RC drill traverse over gravity image.
The company’s planned programs at the Mawson prospect include:
- 3,000 metres RC drilling targeting known sulphide mineralisation, geochemical anomalies and gravity features;
- Continuation of the infill aircore drill program across the greater Mawson area;
- Ongoing integration of aircore and gravity data to assist RC/diamond drill hole planning/design; and
- Report drilling and assays results from all outstanding diamond drill holes.