logo-loader
Mining
Latrobe Magnesium Ltd

Latrobe Magnesium sends fly ash sample to China

au_china_map350_542224597c74a.jpg

Latrobe Magnesium (ASX:LMG) has dispatched its 600 kilogram treated fly ash sample to China for processing through a commercially operating magnesium plant.

After completion of the processing in China, the resulting magnesium and cementitious material will be air freighted back to Australia.

Engineer Material Solutions will then conduct a full suite of cement tests to replicate previous results and more precisely determine the properties of this material.

About 80% of the cement test results will be known within 28 days after Engineer Material Solutions receives the material, with the remaining 20% of results expected to take a further month.

Since July the fly ash bulk sample was calcined, mixed and tested at a Melbourne laboratory.

Notably, the results of this test work proved that this sample has achieved the company’s hydromet and smelter specifications as set in its prefeasibility and adjustment studies.

The China smelter tests will be the first testing in actual commercial conditions and are expected to validate LMG laboratory results to date.

LMG is developing a magnesium production plant in Victoria's Latrobe Valley using its world-first patented extraction process.

The company intends to extract and sell magnesium metal and its cementitious material from industrial fly ash, which is currently a waste stream from brown coal power generation.

LMG has completed its pre-feasibility and adjustment studies validating its combined hydromet / thermal reduction process that extracts the metal.

Production from the initial 5,000 tonne per annum magnesium plant is due to start in the June quarter of 2016, which LMG plans to sell the refined magnesium under long-term contracts to Australian and American users.

Currently, Australia imports 100% of the 10,000 tonnes annually consumed.

Magnesium has the best strength-to-weight ratio of all common structural metals and is increasingly used in the manufacture of car parts, laptop computers, mobile phones and power tools.

 

Proactive Investors Australia is the market leader in producing news, articles and research reports on ASX “Small and Mid-cap” stocks with distribution in Australia, UK, North America and Hong Kong / China.

Quick facts: Latrobe Magnesium Ltd

Price: $0.01

Market: ASX
Market Cap: $7.78 m
Follow

Add related topics to MyProactive

Create your account: sign up and get ahead on news and events

NO INVESTMENT ADVICE

The Company is a publisher. You understand and agree that no content published on the Site constitutes a recommendation that any particular security, portfolio of securities, transaction, or investment strategy is...

FOR OUR FULL DISCLAIMER CLICK HERE

Watch

Mining Capital's Alastair Ford charts continued strength in gold price

Mining Capital's Alastair Ford addresses suggestions gold could be heading towards a new high of $2000/oz. ''I think that's quite an ambitious target to be setting at this point ... the next breakout number $1525/oz and thereafter the chartists will look for something like $1560/oz''. ''If...

3 days, 12 hours ago

2 min read