Proactive Investors - Run By Investors For Investors

Barrick sells 50% of its statke in Papu New Guinea gold mine

Barrick sells 50% of its statke in Papu New Guinea gold mine
Barrick, which suffered consecutive losses in 2013 and 2014 with respective losses of 10.4 and 2.9 billion USD, is pursuing a US$3 billion debt reduction strategy this year

Shares of Barrick Gold (TSE:ABX) (NYSE:ABX) were trading about 3.4 percent lower today, after the company announced has sold 50% of its stake in the Porgera joint venture that operates a gold mine in Papua New Guinea to China’s Zijin Mining Group.

Barrick, the world’s largest gold producer and 95% owner of the Porgera through the company Barrick Niugini, obtained US$298 million in cash for its stake. The government of the Papuan province of Enga and local owners hold the remaining 5%.

“Our partnership with Zijin is the first step in a long-term strategic relationship with one of China's leading mining companies—a multi-faceted partnership that will provide significant opportunities to work together on an ongoing basis as we continue to create value for our respective owners," said Barrick’s chairman John Thornton in a statement.

In 2014, the mine yielded 493,000 ounces of gold.

Barrick’s sale is part of a plan to divest a dozen of what it considers as secondary assets, such that it can operate on a leaner basis, preserving only the richest and most profitable deposits, concentrating its activity in the Americas.

The group also intends to use the proceeds of this sale to reduce debt, which exceeds US$20 billion. Yesterday, Barrick said it sold another gold mine in Australia to a local company for US$550 million.

Barrick, which suffered consecutive losses in 2013 and 2014 with respective losses of 10.4 and 2.9 billion USD, is pursuing a US$3 billion debt reduction strategy this year.

Barrick also signed a long term strategic cooperation agreement with Zijin Mining, which could see the two participate in other mining projects, according to a joint statement.
 
Under the agreement, Barrick and Zijin will each appoint three directors to the board of Barrick Niugini, which holds 95% of the Porgera Joint Venture. One party will appoint the general manager of the mine while the other will name his deputy and the chairman of the board.

Greg Walker, Porgera’s current and Barrick appointed director, will remain in office, but it is understood that Zijin’s role in Porgera will expand as its managers gain experience in Papua New Guinea.

View full ABX profile View Profile

Barrick Gold Timeline

Newswire
January 11 2017
Newswire
October 02 2015
Newswire
August 18 2015

Related Articles

1537962543_Headframe-at-Evander.jpg
September 26 2018
Pan African has now ceased operations at a troubled asset and is once more looking forward to growth
1526663898_Amulsar-concrete-pour---Nov-2017.jpg
May 15 2018
Output is targeted to average around 225,000 ounces a year over an initial 10-year mine life
Thor Explorations' Segilola high grade pit offers strong return on investment
June 13 2018
The 100% owned project sits on a 27 sq km exploration licence containing a 17 sq km mining licence

© Proactive Investors 2018

Proactive Investors Australia PTY LTD ACN:132787654 ABN:19132787654.

Market Indices, Commodities and Regulatory News Headlines copyright © Morningstar. Data delayed 15 minutes unless otherwise indicated. Terms of use