Sky Italia has issued a purchase order to acquire Linius’ services for the development of a Personalised Channels proof-of-concept (PoC).
The purpose of the PoC is for Sky Italia to conduct a closed trial to:
- Test user engagement and reaction to personalised TV;
- Facilitate commercial modelling for future public release to its subscribers; and
- Provide insights into future product design.
Focus on sports
The trial is expected to focus on sports and notably Serie A, EPL and Champions League football.
Shares of Linius have been as much as 23% higher to 1.6 cents intra-day.
Linius is the only cloud-based solution that transforms static video into hyper-personalised video experiences with its world-first Video Virtualization Engine™ (VVE).
The virtualised video can then be personalised and re-sequenced ‘on-the-fly’ according to search criteria, user preferences and any other business rule.
Demand for personalised channels
Existing research by Quantum Market Research of Sky UK subscribers indicates that 96% of viewers want personalised channels and will pay a premium for it.
The deal term is a one-off trial fee that includes a personalised channel builder, video virtualisation and enrichment, and trial support for US$39,250.
Given the current global uncertainty, trial dates are yet to be finalised.
Sky Italia is an Italian television platform operated by Sky, which is itself owned by Comcast.
The audio-visual media service provider offers pay-TV and free-to-air television to its viewers through its multiple channels and services offerings.
Sky Italia operates as a publisher of content and an agent for advertising sales and activities.
Key Linius partners
Linius works in conjunction with its key partners:
- AWS – Linius technology is built on Amazon Web Services;
- Microsoft - where-by the global Microsoft salesforce is incentivised to sell Linius solutions;
- IBM - to accelerate the deployment of digital asset workflows on the cloud; and
- Stats Perform - to deliver the world’s leading sports time-stamped metadata into solutions.