Electro Optic Systems (ASX:EOS) has been awarded a $6.5 million contract from the Australian Defence Force to refurbish and upgrade remote weapon systems.
Under the contract EOS will upgrade 45 of the ADF inventory of 235 EOS R-400 remote weapon systems by April 2016.
Each system will be completely refurbished in the EOS factory and upgraded to full R-400S specification.
The R400S, the most recent R-400 variant, was developed with the support of the Australian Government’s Priority Industry Capability Innovation Program (PICIP) run by the Defence Materiel Organisation (DMO).
Since 2013, the PICIP has provided EOS with matching grant funds to help commercialise innovative defence technology.
The R-400S has been specifically developed to provide precision engagement at long ranges generally beyond the reach of conventional remote weapon systems deploying weapons such as 12.7mm and 7.62 mm machine guns.
The earlier R-400 system has seen service in Iraq and Afghanistan with the US and Australian Army, and other coalition forces.
This upgrade program will provide the ADF with significant new capabilities:
- A new Australian-designed stabilisation system delivering exceptional hit probability on a moving target from a moving weapon platform;
- Improvements to both day and thermal imaging systems to allow greater identification range and enhanced image quality for dual-use ISR [intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance] and lethal force applications;
- automatic video tracking providing accurate engagements at longer ranges whilst the vehicle is moving;
- software upgrade to the fully integrated software suite for protected and armoured vehicles, allowing the RWS to instantly plug-and-play with any other turret or RWS;
- An RWS easily adjusted to allow digital integration into a variety of Battle Management Systems; and
- Instant video and audio recording of all engagements for battle damage assessment, rules of engagement review and potential secondary engagement authority during peace support operations.
Proactive Investors Australia is the market leader in producing news, articles and research reports on ASX emerging companies with distribution in Australia, UK, North America and Hong Kong / China.