Sign up Australia
Proactive Investors - Run By Investors For Investors

IronClad Mining tweaks mine plan for South Australia iron ore project

IronClad Mining tweaks mine plan for South Australia iron ore project

IronClad Mining (ASX: IFE) has re-optimised the Stage One mine plan for its Wilcherry Hill iron ore project on South Australia’s Eyre Peninsula that has estimated Open Cut Marketable Reserves at 2.9 million tonnes.

This consists of 1.9Mt DSO ore grading 57% iron and 1Mt of dry magnetic separation (DMS) product with an average concentrate grade of 52.6% iron.

It noted that at current iron prices of about US$133 per tonne, the project would generate cash flow of A$90 million after capital repayment – an IRR of 305%, and cash flow of A$48 million (IRR 114%) at floor prices of US$110 per tonne.

The company expects to receive the key final port development approval in late October which will in turn accelerate current financing negotiations.

Wilcherry Hill

The Stage One development of Wilcherry Hill is defined as the mining and shipping of DSO and DMS ore.

Start-up capital requirements are estimated at about $22 million, allowing for the purchase of owner operated crushing plant that would help reduce overall operating costs by about 25%.

It is proposed that the port fleet of two dumb barges, two tugs and a floating crane will be finance leased and be fully paid by the end of current Stage One mining operation. The lease costs are included in the overall operating costs and are anticipated to amount to about $24 million.

Ore will initially be transported by double road trains to a stockpile storage facility about 1.5 kilometres from the port of Lucky Bay, which is located 120 kilometres south of Whyalla.

From there it will be loaded into air-tight containers and tractor transported to the portside hardstand before being loaded by crane onto dumb barges.

Tugs will then take the barges 5.5 nautical miles out to sea where a barge mounted crane will be moored. This will then load the ore from the containers into Panamax or Cape-sized vessels anchored alongside it.

Several Chinese buyers have already confirmed their willingness to buy the DSO product.

Ironclad has a 80% interest in the project while Trafford Resources (ASX: TRF) holds the remaining 20%.


Proactive Investors is a market leader in the investment news space, providing ASX “Small and Mid-cap” company news, research reports, StockTube videos and One2One Investor Forums.

Register here to be notified of future TYX Company articles
View full TYX profile

Tyranna Resources Timeline

Related Articles

December 14 2016
The board is settled and the company is looking to press ahead with its various projects
August 05 2016
NQ Minerals anticipates early cashflow from high margin silver stockpiles
October 21 2016
All drill results are expected to be included in the company’s maiden JORC resource.

© Proactive Investors 2017

Proactive Investors Australia PTY LTD ACN:132787654 ABN:19132787654.